Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fremont Lookout

Stats
Roundtrip mi: 5.6 miles
Elev. gain: 800
Party:  Deb, Shelby, Pops

 (Taking pictures at Fremont causes people to accuse you of taking pictures in front of a "visitor center" sign, or photo-shopping yourself in; but no, it is that beautiful and perfect!)

We decided to take it easy this week, because Pops hasn't been hiking in a while. The Fremont Lookout is a lot of bang of your buck. It's only 800 feet in elevation, and it is GORGEOUS. I have always said that the Sunrise side of Rainier is my favorite, and with good reason. Less tourists, more mountain. 

I have done Fremont at least 5 times (its a great hike for beginners. It is easy enough that they won't hate you or the mountain when they are done, but it is decent enough to not feel like just a walk in the park) so I don't have a lot to write about. I guess all I have to say is that it is great for beginning hikers. It is classic. And beautiful. OH! One thing.....Fremont has a ton of loose rocks (so if you have ankle issues, watch your step!) and one of them jumped up and bit me. Yup. So I'm walking along, minding my own business, and I apparently stepped on one of these rocks wrong, on the edge of it, which caused it to fling up and hit me in the Achilles tendon!!! And cut me! it didn't cut all the way, but enough to make me bleed! I turned around, looked at the rock and went "Did that seriously just happen????"
Large rocks that weren't my friends ^^^^

ALSO, Fremont has the FUNNIEST mountain toilet ever!!!! Talk about your view!!!!
Here are some other pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment